Featured Post

The white-Left Part 1: The two meanings of white

Thursday, October 19, 2017

50 years ago: March on the Pentagon | 21 October 1967

Me and a friend on the bus to DC
Fifty years ago today I was riding a bus from St. Louis to my first national anti-war demonstration. At the time I was a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis, MO with a double-E major. The March on the Pentagon was a massive and militant protest against the American War in Vietnam and it took place on 21 October 1967. Protesters rallied at West Potomac Park near the Lincoln Memorial and marched to the Pentagon. Phil Ochs sang and David Dellinger and Dr. Spock spoke. A rally there was followed by civil disobedience on the steps of the Pentagon. I was among those that marched across the bridge to the Pentagon but I didn't get arrested.  



Che Guevara was murdered on 9 October 
1967 and we were still mourning our loss
as we marched across the bridge to the
Pentagon

This weekend I will be flying to Washington to commemorate the 50h anniversary of that historic protest. These events are being organized by the Vietnam Peace Commemoration Committee. It begins with a vigil at the Pentagon on Friday, 20 October, followed by dinner at Saigon Saigon, and an all day conference on Saturday, 21 October. You can read complete information on the event website.

I will be tweeting and blogging from the various events so look for my post over the weekend.




After this protest, anti-war activity became the focus of my life for the next few years. By the end of that school year I was president of the Washington University SDS chapter and a veteran of many protests.


Syria is the Paris Commune of the 21st Century!

Click here for my posts on the 2016 US Election
Click here for a list of my other blogs on Syria
Click here for a list of my other blogs on Libya

No comments:

Post a Comment